Can I sue if a car hit me while I was riding my bike on the road?

I don't have the money for a car so I ride my bike to work everyday. I am an experienced bicyclist and I understand all of the traffic laws that pertain to public safety. However, on my way to work a few months ago I was on the far right side and a car chose to make a right turn in front of me. Thankfully they were just going about 15 mph but the car hit me and threw me to the floor. I sustained shoulder injuries as well as minor fractures all throughout my right leg from the fall. Can I sue for my injuries?

Answers (1) disclaimer

255 N Market Street
San Jose CA 95110
San Jose, California Personal Injury Attorney
(408) 292-2434

Shea & Shea - A Professional Law Corporation

San Jose, California Personal Injury Attorney
It is great to hear that you are seeking to abide by all of the safety rules of the road as you commute with your bike. When dealing with bicycle injury and car accidents, it is important to discuss the details over with a personal injury attorney who can walk you through your rights as well as any legal details of your state. Many times bike accident occur because of a negligent driver who wasn't paying attention to their surroundings. When dealing with a case like this is important to have an experienced attorney representing you because there is the possibility that the prosecution will try and argue that you were riding in their blind spot or attempted to pass them illegally. Usually this is not the case for bike riders, and so a personal injury attorney will do what they can to represent your case. It is fortunate that there were no life threatening injuries, yet it sounds as though you may be unable to ride a bike for a time while your injuries heal. As you said you currently do not have the money to own a car, and that could be a problem when trying to commute to work. By filing a personal injury claim you may be able to receive the compensation needed not only for the medical bills but also for the lost wages and other compensation to help with your commute to work. Don’t wait too long, call an attorney today to start fighting for what you deserve!

Related Questions

Do we have a possible lawsuit?

My son and his pregnant wife had a bad 1 vehicle accident on I 459 when he lost control of the 2007 Nissan Frontier. It spun a few 360's and hit the ...
answered by Arnold & Itkin - Offshore Injury Lawyers - Alabama View answers »

Do insurance companies go out of their way to NOT send you your comp checks and not approve therapy on purpose??

I thought you didnt want any details!! I can NOT get my adjuster to answer calls or return calls or answer emails hardly at all!!!
answered by Kennedy Hodges, L.L.P. - Arizona View answers »

if I was injured while visiting a friend in Utah but live in California which state should I get an attorney?

my friends cat attacked me and caused injuries enough to go to the hospital. when my friend tried to get his cat off me it turned on him. he joined me ...
answered by Barrett Injury Law - Utah View answers »