The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. Articles What to Do If You Are Involved in a Car Accident in Another State

What to Do If You Are Involved in a Car Accident in Another State

By Christopher Hoffmann  May. 18, 2015 10:25a

Taking road trips is a favorite summer activity for many Missourians. The most frequently visited destinations are the beach towns and cities of Florida. The 12 hour drive from Missouri to Florida often involves driving through multiple states including Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama. Driving through these states is a pleasant experience; however, the enjoy quickly comes to an end when an automobile accident occurs.

An accident is a traumatic experience, and gets even more complicated when the accident takes place out of your home state. Many times people panic and fail to take the necessary steps after the accident. You must remember that the first steps to be taken after accidents are the same whether the accident takes place in your own state or any other state. The following are essential steps to take, no matter what state an accident has occured in.

  • Check for injuries: This is the first and most important thing to do. You must examine yourself for any injuries as the adrenaline rush may mask the pain and you may fail to notice them. Thereafter you should check the passengers in your vehicle and other vehicles as well.

  • Call the police: You must report the accident to the police. In certain states the police respond only when the accident is serious and involves damage and injuries. Even if no one is injured, you must make that report as it will be required when you file your insurance claim.

  • Exchange contact information: You should share your contact information with the other drivers involved in the accident and take down their contact details, license number, and insurance information. Take down the contact information of any witnesses who are willing to provide this information.

  • Take photographs: Use your cell phone or a camera to take multiple pictures of the accident site, the damage sustained by the vehicles, the injuries sustained by the occupants, and the landmarks around, if any.

  • Seek medical help: If you have been injured in the accident, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible and follow the doctor’s orders. Also keep the medical reports safely as they will be required when you file an insurance claim.

  • Call your insurance company: The next step after you have reported the accident to the police and have been medically examined is to call your insurance company and report the accident. You must ask them if out of state towing of your vehicle and auto-repair are covered by your insurance policy. The insurance companies often have some recommended repair shops which can be accessed for auto repairs.

  • Call a car accident attorney: To ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you receive the full amount of compensation you are entitled to for any damages and injuries that resulted, contact an experienced car accident attorney.

The laws of the state where the accident occurs are generally applicable in out of state accidents. However, it is not always the case as certain conditions can alter the regulations that are applicable. Hence, it is advisable to seek legal guidance from an experienced attorney.

Call (314) 361-4242 for a free consultation with a St. Louis personal injury lawyer.

Other Recent Articles

Tourism and St. Louis Automobile Accidents

Vacations are supposed to be a relaxing escape for everyday life, and in general, that is precisely what they are. Unfortunately, trips can be ruined by getting into an automobile accident, which ...
More Articles »

How Your Car’s Black Box Can Affect Your Auto Collision Case

If you get into a car accident and come out with an injury, you and your St. Louis car accident attorney will look for all possible evidence. While pieces like witness testimonies and accident ...
More Articles »

Physical Therapy After a St. Louis Car Accident

If your car accident injury is severe enough, you may decide to see a physical therapist (PT). When you do, you will likely have a much better shot at returning to your former health and living a ...
More Articles »
(314) 361-4242
7751 Carondelet Ave #601
St. louis, MO 63105

(314) 361-4248

Office Hours:
Monday 24 Hours-
Tuesday 24 Hours-
Wednesday 24 Hours-
Thursday 24 Hours-
Friday 24 Hours-
Saturday 24 Hours-
Sunday 24 Hours-

Main Website:
View Website
Contact our office by email or phone instantly by clicking the options below: