The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. Articles Have You Missed Several Paychecks Due to a Car Crash?

Have You Missed Several Paychecks Due to a Car Crash?

By Christopher Hoffmann  Jul. 31, 2015 9:32a

If you have been injured in a car accident caused by another person’s negligence and you had to miss work because of it or you have missed out on other employment opportunities because of injuries or medical restrictions, you might be able to recover these losses from the person at-fault.

The person who gets injured in a car accident and is suing the person responsible for the accident can pursue lost wages resulting from the accident. For example, if a broken arm keeps you from doing your job, you are entitled to recover the income that you would have earned had the arm not been broken and you were still able to perform duties. In case, you could not go to work for a month because of the injury, you would be able to recover the wages you would have earned in that month.

Lost Earning Capacity

If a car accident cause long lasting or permanent injury and effects the person's ability to earn for an indefinite period of time, then the person may be entitled to receive compensation for "lost earning capacity". In some cases, the injured person may still be able to work, but the disability may prevent him/her from taking up a higher paying job. In such cases you can claim compensation or lost earning capacity. Even loss of stamina and chronic pain qualify as disabling injuries and you can claim compensation or them.

It is important to note that the car accident can even aggravate a pre-existing injury and effect a person's earning capacity. This too qualifies for a wage loss claim.

Proving Lost Wages and Lost Earning Capacity

In order to prove lost wages, the injured person will have to submit the most recent pay-check that the person received prior to the injury. Remember, you can recover damages for any non-salary benefits that you might have earned if the injury had not occurred.

However, it might not be very easy to prove lost earning capacity as it may involve speculation about the future. Depending on the seriousness and type of injury in some cases it might be evident that the earning capacity would be diminished. Even in this case, it might be difficult to calculate the exact amount that you can recover. A simple way to make a calculation is to compare the pay checks before and after the car accident. It might be necessary to get some expert witnesses to testify and put a number to the diminished earning capacity. Things become even more complicated if the injuries have led to permanent disability.

If you have been injured in a Missouri auto accident, and you have had to miss several pay checks as a result, you have a right to pursue compensation from the at fault driver.

Contact our St. Louis car crash attorneys 24/7 at (314) 361-4242 for a free consultation.

Other Recent Articles

A Snow Plow Hit My Car: Who Pays for My Injuries?

As more snow is to be expected in the Northern side of the US, incidents involving snow plows start to be reported. If you find yourself in that situation and you have suffered injuries after a ...
More Articles »

7 Insurance Company Tricks to Reduce Your Car Accident Settlement

The harsh truth is that insurance companies will try to minimize their own expenses, often using strategies that do not benefit the victim at all. Here are 7 examples of how insurance companies will ...
More Articles »

Determining the Value of Your St. Louis Car Accident

Car accidents are difficult situations to get over. It’s not just the initial emotional turmoil of the impact. Victims can then expect to go through some of the most difficult periods of their lives: ...
More Articles »
(314) 361-4242
7751 Carondelet Ave #601
St. louis, MO 63105

(314) 361-4248

Office Hours:
Monday 24 Hours-
Tuesday 24 Hours-
Wednesday 24 Hours-
Thursday 24 Hours-
Friday 24 Hours-
Saturday 24 Hours-
Sunday 24 Hours-

Main Website:
View Website
Contact our office by email or phone instantly by clicking the options below: