McCoy & McCoy Articles Nearly $7 Million Awarded to Family & Victims of Multi-Car Crash

Nearly $7 Million Awarded to Family & Victims of Multi-Car Crash

By McCoy & McCoy  Sep. 15, 2012 4:20p

A New Haven jury recently awarded a total of $6.72 million in a wrongful death and personal injury case stemming from a severe September 2008 vehicle accident. The multi-car collision happened during morning rush hour traffic when several cars were slowing and suddenly stopping in order to avoid a muffler and other debris from the undercarriage of a car that was scattered across two of the three lanes of the highway. A Department of Transportation service patrol car stopped to clean up the debris but ended up blocking the only open lane. The patrol car was parked part way on the shoulder and the right-most highway lane which blocked traffic from proceeding unless attempting to traverse the lanes containing debris. This scenario set the stage for a chain reaction of collisions when the driver of a tractor trailer truck first hit one car sending it into a bridge abutment and then rear ended another car which in turn rear ended the vehicle in front of it. The man in the first car was seriously injured and a 26-year-old male passenger in the back seat of the second car which was rear ended by the truck was killed. Discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer if you were hurt in a car accident that was not your fault.

The man injured in the accident and the family of the man that was killed brought suit against the truck driver and the state. It was argued that the DOT worker had parked his vehicle in such a way that unsafely rerouted traffic. The jury agreed that the state held some of the liability for the fatal crash and was held accountable for 30% of the damages. The jury found the tractor trailer driver liable for the other 70% of the $6.72 million.

Car Accident Attorney in Hartford

Determining who exactly is liable for your injuries after a multi-vehicle crash can be difficult but with the help of a knowledgeable personal injury attorney the job can be done. The law offices of McCoy & McCoy are highly skilled in all the legal aspects of a car accident case from obtaining crash reports, medical reports and expert witnesses to establishing fault and ensuring that insurance companies don't try to give you the runaround. Contact a lawyer with us today to find out what we may be able to do for you. You may be entitled to receive substantial compensation from those negligent in the accident.

Other Recent Articles

Female Pedestrian Dies after Struck by Bus

Police recently released the identity of a 62-year-old woman that was fatally injured after being hit by a bus near the Mohegan Sun Casino. Police were waiting to inform relatives before releasing the ...
More Articles »

Driver in Fatal Injury Accident Scheduled for Court Appearance

The 20-year-old driver of a car that crashed on Halloween has been charged with several serious offenses and is scheduled to appear before Superior Court in mid December.
More Articles »

Mother Demands Accountability after Bus Accident

The mother of two children that were on a school bus involved in an accident is appalled at how the school handled the incident.
More Articles »
(866) 790-7083
20 Church Street 17th Floor
Hartford, CT 06103

(860) 244-9200

Main Website:
View Website
Contact our office by email or phone instantly by clicking the options below: